2024 WEL Cohort Application
The James Beard Foundation’s Women’s Entrepreneurial Leadership (WEL) program is an advanced educational, training, and networking program for business owners in all areas of the hospitality industry.
Targeted to women chefs/owners of one or more restaurants or food businesses looking to expand and grow, the curriculum will address advanced business and finance concepts while also providing gender-specific training and leadership development.
Learn more about the alumnae of WEL through our directory of alumnae.
Thank you for your interest in applying to the WEL program. This application should take no longer than one (1) hour to complete.
To help you prepare: you will need up to two (2) professional references. We also ask for revenue and net profit numbers for 2023, 2022 and 2021 and total number of full-time and part-time staff. We may request to see a copy of your P&Ls for verification.
The program will be held virtually every Monday from 2 to 4 P.M. ET starting on January 22, 2024 and concluding on April 9, 2024. Class will not take place on February 19.
Please only apply if you are able to commit to all the dates listed. Your certificate of completion and participation in future WEL events is contingent upon attending every class session.
A maximum of 20 applicants will be selected for each cohort. A committee consisting of industry leaders, WEL alumnae, and James Beard Foundation staff will review all applications. All applicants will be notified by December 8th.
To qualify for WEL, you must be:
- 21 years of age or older
- A woman or nonbinary individual
- A current owner or co-owner of one or more food, beverage, or related businesses in the United States, with a strong desire to learn, network, and grow your business
- Interested in an intensive entrepreneurial management program that also provides training and leadership development
- Committed to attending each session
- Committed to filling out follow-up surveys immediately upon completion of the program, then 1 year, 3 years, and 5 years post-program, as well as yearly check-ins
The application for the 2024 WEL Cohort closes on October 16th at 11:59 AM E.T.
If you have any questions, please reach out to email@example.com.
To stay informed on the James Beard Foundation Women’s Leadership Programs, including WEL, sign up for our Industry Support Newsletter.